Mold in Homes
Mold in homes is quite a common thing. Not that it is safe but there are steps you can take to remove them or get help to remediate.
Mold is a type of fungus that can live both indoors and outdoors. If the spores become airborne or remain trapped inside a home, it can create health issues. The spores begin sporulation and eventually lead to the airborne toxins that mold creates called “Mycotoxins”.
If mold is inside your home, it can result in a number of respiratory issues.
Some microbial growth is invisible to the eye, which means you have to be aware of other symptoms, some of the most common symptoms that are present when the mold is growing in the vicinity include:
• Respiratory issues: a dry cough, scratchy throat, and sneezing. Other symptoms include nausea and headaches.
• Musty odors: If you notice a musty smell it may need to be checked out.
• Discolorations: Wall, floor or ceiling discoloration may be a sign of mold.
• Issues with ventilation/Excessive moisture: Homes that are moist or humid are the ideal environment for mold growth.
Steps to Prevent Mold in Homes
The good news is, there are a number of steps you can take (whether you are buying a new home or considering it) to minimize the potential for mold growth.
Some of these preventative steps to minimize the presence of sporulation include:
• Install tile: This type of floor or wall covering is durable and attractive. When maintained leaves no organic surface for any growth to thrive on.
• Seal all grout: Sealing the grout will ensure that moisture does not get into it causing mold growth.
• Proper ventilation: Be sure to use an exhaust fan, dehumidifier or open a window when in moisture is excessive.
• Fix leaks: Leaky faucets or pipes can be a common issue and lead to mold.
The fact is, mold can be dangerous if it is present in your home or business in various quantities. It is essential to take action to minimize the potential it will develop. While you can get rid of mold if it develops, it can be a long and tedious process. This is why it is a much better idea to prevent it before it starts. This can be achieved by considering proper airflow in a structure as well as adding systems to circumvent unnecessary moisture, CleanSpace encapsulation systems, and proper ventilation are great examples of systems that will go a long way to preserving your home’s structure.
SteamMaster is a pioneer in Mold Remediation servin the Pitkin County, Eagle County, Summit County and surrounding mountain community resort towns.