A variety of different factors can cause residential fires. The most common leading causes of residential fires are cooking, heating, electrical, smoking, and candles.
Cooking accounts for most fires, with heating being the second most common cause. Electrical fires, caused by faulty wiring or overloaded circuits, are the third leading cause of residential fires.
Smoking is the fourth most common cause, as discarded cigarettes or cigars can start a fire if not disposed of properly. Lastly, candles are the fifth leading cause of residential fires.
Taking proper safety precautions, such as using fire-safe candles and having your home inspected for faulty wiring or overloaded circuits, is the best way to prevent residential fires.
When a kitchen fire occurs, the first and most important thing is getting everyone out of the house, including pets. Leaving everything behind is essential because a kitchen fire can quickly spread and become uncontrollable.
Do not try to put out the fire yourself. Instead, call 911 immediately. If the fire is in a pan, place a lid on the pan to smother the fire and turn off the stove burner. It is also essential to check the room for any people or pets that may be still inside, and if it is safe to do so, open doors and windows to help ventilate the room. Finally, never use water to put out a grease fire, as this can cause the fire to spread.
In a home fire, occupants and animals must evacuate the area immediately. It is important to leave everything behind, as a home fire can quickly spread and become uncontrollable. Smoke can be particularly hazardous, so it is crucial to find a safe place to wait until emergency personnel arrives. It is also important to ensure that all occupants and animals are accounted for and to call 911 as soon as possible.
Preventive measures such as having smoke detectors and fire extinguishers and adequately disposing of smoking materials can help decrease the likelihood of a home fire.